Topic: Example of STEM Activities with Collaboration Elements
Speakers: Mr. WONG Kwok Kau, STEM coordinator in Ko Lui Secondary School
Event: AiTLE + MagiCube / Workshop on Designing a STEM (@ BBC micro/bit) Collaboration
Date: 7 May 2019
- 00:45 – A real case sharing in teaching an advanced level of coding using micro:bit in S2 regular IT lesson.
- 02:30 – Students are excited in hands-on work.
- 03:25 – Group-learning is recommended in handling multiple sensors.
- 04:32 – “Teacher’s tips” is the most useful function of Una function to him. Some students will try to work by themselves first before looking at the tips. This function can help weak students, motivate students and lead students to enter the core problem earlier. Without Una, students cannot copy-and-paste codes.
- 06:45 – He feels that grouping function helps his teaching. By observing the students’ performance, the teacher can select some better students to join new groups to help weak students during the lesson.
- 07:50 – The fantastic part of Una is that it allows group members to combine their cooperative work in the group workspace.
- 08:50 – After trying Una platform for a month, he feels that teacher can release stress by asking students to take reference from groupmate’s work.
- 09:30 – He reminds other teachers to follow the teaching flow of the activity. It may take more time than the teacher’s expectation.